[Dixielandjazz] Bertha "Chippie" Hill (was: SPEAKING OF WILD BILL DAVISON)

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 17:03:54 PST 2010

OLD TIMER?

Just kidding, Marek..........I cannot deny being around for a considerable
number of years, 70 to be precise.

However, while I love jazz, if you've listened to "Callaghan's Corner" on
Radio OKOM, you'll realize that it is centered primarily around the music of
the big band era, and of course many of those whose careers were born of
that era and have at least attempted to carry that music beyond.

Certainly, the programs are interspersed with various forms of jazz but,
unlike the majority of other program providers there, I do not limit myself
to that genre.

At times, I even slip in some selections that border on country or rock but
of course, rap/hip hop has now and always will be a definite no-no.  Some
have differed with me in that area, but I personally do not consider it to
be worthy of being called music..

Since subscribing to Tradjazz, a discussion group or list that is operated
by Radio OKOM, and more recently this list, I am continuing my education as
to early jazz forms and am most thankful, particularly to Steve Barbone and
Bill Haesler and a few others for being my primary instructors.

As I said when I introduced myself to DJML a few weeks ago, I have a
neverending thirst for further knowledge of all kinds of music and I am
never satisfied at the end of a day if I have not learned something new.

So you might want to think of me as somewhat of a parasite because I am
truly feeding off all of you and am thankful for the opportunity to do so

And all that without any cue cards

Tides
HC..

--