[Dixielandjazz] Second and Different Obituary on John Becker

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 20:16:13 PST 2010

Hi Bruce, No that link turned out not to work.  I'll paste it  below.  Ginny

John Becker dies; celebrated banjo player

By _Michael D. Sorkin_ (mailto:MSorkin at post-dispatch.com)
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
03/05/2010

John Becker started out working at the insurance company  where his dad was
an executive. He worked his way up to district  manager.

But Mr. Becker wanted to play the banjo. He began sneaking out  of the
office to play on the noontime Charlotte Peters variety show on the old  KSD-TV.
His boss back at the insurance company spotted him on the live show and
gave him an ultimatum.

That's when "Big John" Becker decided to make a  career with his
four-string banjo. He ended up an international star.

He  toured Europe and knew the top musicians because he was one of them. In
St.  Louis, he played on riverboats and in clubs at the old Gaslight Square
in  midtown.

Mr. Becker died of  congestive heart failure on Feb. 26, 2010, at his home
in Desloge, Mo., his wife  said this week. He was 90 and had been a hospice
patient for four  years.

Mr. Becker was inducted last year into the National Four-String  Banjo Hall
of Fame at the American Banjo Museum in Oklahoma City.

"His  favorite line was that he was trying to prove that the banjo was a
musical  instrument," recalled Michael Mason, a museum board member who
studied under Mr.  Becker. "So he played classical pieces, swing, Dixieland — just
about  everything."

Banjos can be four or five strings. The five-string is known  for its
bluegrass and country sound. The four-string that Mr. Becker played is
considered a more traditional jazz instrument.

In recent years, Mr.  Becker played at charitable events with a trio that
included Stan Musial on  harmonica.

"He would rather play the harmonica than eat," Mr. Becker once  said of the
baseball great.

VIDEO:
 _Amazing Banjo with Big John  Becker_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVLFkizgE44)

Mr. Becker, an only child, grew up on Fendler  Place in the Bevo
neighborhood, listening to the radio and Harry Reser, "the  greatest banjo player that
ever played," Mr. Becker recalled in a magazine  interview.

His father bought him a $260 banjo during the Depression. His  first job,
while he was in high school, was at a South Side tavern. He and the  piano
player worked four hours and got $2 "and all of the Coca-Cola I could  drink."

He graduated from Cleveland High School in 1936 and studied with  banjo
great Genevieve "Bunny" Longo. During World War II, he served as a radar
technician in the Army Air Forces.

During the 1940s, he put away his  banjo to play guitar with big bands. He
played at the old Kiel Opera House and  for the "Hello Dolly" show with
Carol Channing.

Later, after leaving his  insurance company job, he took a day job as a
musical director at KSD-TV. Mr.  Becker played at the old Robert E. Lee
riverboat with the Jazz Incredibles  group. In Gaslight Square, he played at the
Golden Eagle and Lorelei  clubs.

One of his best-known recordings was "Big John's Banjo  Band."

In 1986, he married his fourth wife. "John was my third husband,"  said
Dorothy Becker. "Between the two of us, we had lucky No. 7."

Mr.  Becker asked that his beloved banjo, a Fender that he had strummed
since 1965,  be displayed at the banjo museum after his death.

His wife plans a  celebration of his life at a date to be determined this
spring. His body was  cremated, and she plans to scatter the ashes in
Yosemite National  Park.

In addition to his wife, survivors include a son, Larry John Becker  of St.
Louis.

In a message dated 3/5/2010 10:12:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,