[Dixielandjazz] Women's History Month

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 13:48:55 PST 2010

Katie:

I possibly misunderstood earlier, that this was supposed to be limited to
composers.  If indeed it is not, by all means, we must not neglect to make
mention of vocalist Annette Hanshaw whose tremendous talent I only became
aware of rather recently.through Carrie Mazzy who enjoys singing those songs
that were part of Annette's repertoire on occasions
when she performs with husband, banjoist Jimmy Mazzy.

Then we have the name of the much neglected Mildred Bailey, who could
quite conceivably be regarded as the first great white jazz vocalist, at
times giving Billie Holiday a run for her money, but regrettably passing
away at the tender age of 44.

I don't want to appear greedy so you can consider that to be putting in my
two cents.

Thanx for allowing me the opportunity to contribute.

HC