[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Without Louis

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 4 18:24:37 PST 2010

It blows me away that an article about New Orleans Jazz, from a town
just across the river from New Orleans did not mention Louis Armstrong
at all. I wrote to them about it.

Seems to me the New Orleans Airport is named "Louis Armstrong New
Orleans International Airport" which should be a clue to them about
his importance to both the city and to jazz.

Seems also to me that Louis Armstrong was the most important jazz
figure of the first half of the 20th century AT LEAST. And one could
argue for his being the most important jazz figure of the entire
century.

Ah well, history becomes diluted quite rapidly. How soon we forget.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband