[Dixielandjazz] NEW, YOUNG, DIXIELAND BAND

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 18:51:08 PST 2010

Is The Original Senn Jazz Band appearing at the  2010 Sacramento Jazz
Festival? Or others in California during the year?

Cheers,

Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Young Jazzist Exposes Redding to Original Senn

 From  anewscafe.com (Northern California)

By Dave Short March 1, 2010
Although still in his 20s, trumpeter Paul Senn has already made his
mark in the jazz world, both with his horn and as a vocalist.

He was raised in Redding and left for college in the Sacramento area.
While attending American River College, Paul was a member of a choir
that won the prestigious Downbeat Jazz Award as the best college vocal
jazz group. Among his many projects he is now introducing a new band
to Redding, The Original Senn Jazz Band. Their debut concert is at Old
City Hall on March 7.

I spoke to Paul about his new band and his many accomplishments.Paul,
it is great to have you at Old City Hall again. I was surprised to
hear that you were starting a traditional New Orleans Dixieland jazz
band, since I always think of you as a contemporary jazz player. Why
traditional jazz now?

Actually, I started out with traditional music as a young child. My
grandfather, Gene Chord, played coronet with many jazz bands in
Redding, and he encouraged me as a young child to get into the music.
There is an infamous family video of me singing “What a Wonderful
World” to an adoring crowd of family members when I was just 6 years
old. When I took up the trumpet he would take me to gigs and I would
sit in with the pros, so I was hooked at a young age.

Paul, if you are nervous, you must really hide it well.

I owe my stage demeanor to my many years at Enterprise High with Mr.
Dan Neece. We played over 50 shows per year with the Starship group.
It became very routine to walk into a new venue, set up, and get with
it. We did so many styles of music that we learned versatility and
flexibility. For example, one year our show had a Tower of Power song
followed by a Bill Chase screamer. The next song up was “Nine To Five”
by Dolly Parton. Talk about a change of pace! The Starship experience
was something that was surprisingly unique in Redding. There are few
programs of that caliber in California, and Redding is truly blessed
to have it here. Sometimes show choirs are dismissed by jazz purists,
but they truly train the musicians to be complete performers, and have
stage presence.

Some of the episodes of “Glee” hit very close to home. It is nice to
see the arts, and show choirs specifically, represented in a positive
way. It shows very well that you may really excel at something, and be
respected by your peers, but it will not necessarily help you at all
in the larger social structure of your school. After I graduated from
high school and moved on to American River College I could build on
what I learned, and it gave me a lot of confidence.

At American River you sang in a Downbeat Magazine award winning choir,
didn't you?

Yes, and we performed at the International Association for Jazz
Education annual convention. The singer joining us for our show at Old
City Hall, Angie Bryan, was in that group too.

Is this new band a traditional Dixieland group?

In the course of developing the band it started out traditional, but
then it moved on to blues, funk, and a more contemporary New Orleans
style. I hope to take this band to west coast jazz festivals. We will
be doing some things that no Dixieland group would be doing, like
“Blackwater” by the Doobie brothers, “Hey Pocky A-Way” by The Meters,
and “It’s All Over Now”, a funky shuffle tune.

Great stuff. Is "It's All Over Now" the Dirty Dozen version?

Yes, and it will have Bruce Calin on the tuba!

Who else is in the band?

The front line is myself, Jeff Jones and Joe Larsen. The three of us
have been playing together as a unit now for at least six years. We
will have Matt Scallion on drums, Pat Karch on keyboard, and of course
Angie Bryan on vocals.

You seem to be on top of it all. Did you learn this in school or
elsewhere?

Even though I studied music, a lot of what I learned has been
basically by paying attention to my peers and keeping an open mind.

Do You listen to music much?

Obsessively, I think. I have been known to drive my family and friends
crazy with my music playing constantly. I have to tone it down at
work, but I still listen there, too. At times when you can’t play you
can still listen and learn.

See the Original Senn Jazz Band at 7 p.m. Sunday, March 7, at the
Shasta County Arts Council, Old City Hall, 1313 Market Street,
Redding. Tickets are available at Bernie’s Guitar and The Shasta
County Arts Council. Student admission is free.