[Dixielandjazz] A remembrance of Chuck Hedges

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Fri Jun 25 08:20:38 PDT 2010

The news of Chuck Hedges’ passing was sad to receive; a fine player and
a great and humorous guy to be hanging with. This fellow will miss him
as others will I’m sure.

But in all the sadness of the news came a flash of memory that made me
smile, even burst out laughing. That was the recollection of one of the
best stunts Chuck ever started – this time en route to Sacramento in a
United Airliner half filled with musicians. I was with the Sons of Bix,
and there were some members of at least three other bands and single
players I can not quite recall.

We’d been air born about an hour out of Chicago when Chuck reached up
and took his clarinet case out of the overhead and began to assemble it.
He called out loudly, “Hey – do your remember those old black and white
movies where a college or swing band suddenly got a jam session going on
a train or plane. So let’s do it,” he said and began to play. It took
less than a minute or two before others scrambled to find whatever they
could get from overheads or under the seat, and soon there wa a banjo,
guitar, two cornets, a soprano, a trombone, a pair of drum sticks and a
small cymbol and a roaring good jam session was underway. It lasted for
most of the trip until the pilot asked we get ready for landing and to
please return to seating.

Once we landed, and were about to disembark, the voice of the pilot came
on to thank us for flying with United, then, dropping into a perfect
Lawrence Welk accent, he added…”and to the musicians on board...”*/ah
thank-a you boyz!/*”

Chuck’s clarinet may be silent now, but that memory keeps him close and
me smiling. */Ah thank-a you, Chuck!/*

Don Ingle