[Dixielandjazz] "Rock" lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 24 17:56:58 PDT 2010

Sue Fischer wrote:
> Have you ever heard the blues tune "My Baby Rocks Me With One Steady Roll?"
> It's from 1922, and the singer leaves no doubt about what "Rock" means!
> (I suppose you could call it "comfort" of a sort.....)

Dear Sue,
May I suggest that this J Berni Barbour 1924-5 composition "My Daddy Rocks Me" really belongs more to jazz and popular music rather than the blues, given its recording history.
Its first outing was the Okeh recording by Harold Ortli and His Ohio State Collegians in February 1925 (which I have) followed by the St Louis band Chas. Creath's Jazz-O-Maniacs the next month.
   http://redhotjazz.com/songs/misc/MyDaddyRocksMe.ram
It was subsequently recorded by
Hush O'Hare (1928)
   http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/misc/Mydaddyrocksme2.ram
the emotive Tampa Red Hokum Jug Band (1929)
   http://ia301532.us.archive.org/1/items/TampaRed-11-19/TampaRedsHokumJugBandVfrankieJackson-     MyDaddyRocksMeWithOneSteadyRoll1929_64kb.mp3
Jimmie Noone (1929)
   http://redhotjazz.com/songs/noone/mydaddy.ram
Trixie Smith (1938)
   http://www.mainely-jazz.com/rhsongs/songframes.html
then Benny Goodman (1940) and jazz revival bands from then on.
Mae West added it to her repertoire in her later stage career.
Very kind regards,
Bill.