[Dixielandjazz] Misspelled song titles

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Wed Jun 23 08:54:56 PDT 2010

Hi J. Ellis,
You wrote:
My favorite misspelled song title:  "Well, Git It"    (Tommy Dorsey)
==================
Not misspelled at all.
As protege of one Mr. Sy Oliver, that's the way he said and spelled it.
He once corrected me when I said "Tain't what you do it's the way that you do it."
Sy: "Hey Al, it's way that cha do it."
Title is of course Tain't What You Do"
I studied with and worked for Sy 1949 thru 1954.
I bet if I asked you guys who wrote "Swanee River" you'd say Stephen Foster.
S.F. wrote "Old Folks At Home." Sy got a separate copyright for "Swanee River."
(side note) S. Foster never lived in the South and visited it only once.
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com