[Dixielandjazz] 5 string banjo jazz - was - vuvuzela

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 12:15:25 PDT 2010

I had not heard of Fred Geiger and I thought the YouTube sample was  yummy.
 Some folks just won't stay in their pigeonholes.  :?).   So he's got metal
strings and looks like metal finger picks, but at the opening  he gets 2 &
3 note "piano" chords which can't be done with regular jazz  strumming
style.  Like classic five-string, but with updated  repertoire.

Of course, Bela Fleck is another that can do excellent trad jazz if and
when he desires to do so.

I'm not sure which genre gets to lay original claim to Alabama  Jubilee.
Is this YouTube country or jazz?  Oh, and when Bela  "drones" on his solo to
that, he's not using his drone string.  :?)   And he was just a kid when he
was doing this one.
( _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEwYlsis6Ck_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEwYlsis6Ck)  )

Ginny

In a message dated 6/21/2010 10:03:55 A.M. Central Daylight Time,