[Dixielandjazz] Recording the music

Dradjazz at aol.com Dradjazz at aol.com
Sun Jun 20 11:10:39 PDT 2010

In a message dated 6/19/10 5:44:12 PM,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> I'm sure there was some improvement in tape heads, but I always
> thought that the technological breakthrough that made cassettes
> viable for music reproduction was Dolby noise reduction.  Cassette
> tapes were around for some time in mono dictaphone machines,
> telephone answering devices, etc., but didn't come into use for music
> (and become stereo instead of just mono) until Dolby B was available.

Yes, Dolby NR was a major breakthrough in cassette recording and playback
technology.   But tape formulations were also souped up (remember CrO2?),
tape shell mechanisms improved, and much better electronics applied to the
whole deal.   That said, the medium, if not well tweaked, could make miserable
tapes --   and mass-produced commerical tapes duplicated at high speeds could
sound atrocious.

As to the 15% RIAA 'tax' applied to Music-CD: no it does not license one to
duplicate whatever you want; its intent was to mitigate sales lossess from
making home copies etc.   The industry lobbies felt they were losing sales
to casstte copies made for personal use.   The recording industry (and film
industry) fought and lost court battles attempting to prohibit personal tape
copying of media content for use in autos, walkmans, and personal-use
compilations, etc.   I'm not arguing their case, just reporting what I followed in
the press at the time.

Dave Radlauer
JAZZHOTBigstep.com