[Dixielandjazz] FW: FW: Hearing the music

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Sat Jun 19 15:04:04 PDT 2010

I'm not sure about your speed  question, Harry, but here's a guess:  The
technology for making the heads  improved so much by the time audio cassettes
came along that you could get up to  20 kHz at 1-7/8 ips.  At the time
reel-to-reel machines were in use, head  technology wouldn't have been as far
along.

    For a while, back in the 1960s, I  worked with 120 ips machines that
pulled 2-inch tape, for high-resolution video  and multiplexed telemetry
signals.  Amazing stuff.

    Wikipedia has a nice write-up on tape  recorders:

_Click  here: Reel-to-reel audio tape recording - Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel-to-reel_audio_tape_recording)

                                                                        Al B

In a message dated 6/19/2010 5:10:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,