[Dixielandjazz] Where did it go?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 15:12:28 PDT 2010

I have serious doubts about the sociological approach to music.
Jazz became popular in Europe in the ninteen thirties, if not bevore;
there were good bands everywhere, including pre-totalitarian Germany.
And while its popularity in post-war Germany and later - the communist
countries (no, it is not a typo - I really do not believe communism
should be capitalized, which, in itself, sounds like a bad pun), where
the totalitarian regimes suppressed it, what about France or the
Netherlands?  Or Scandinavia, which has given us Svend Asmussen (long
before WWII) and Papa Bue (afterwards)?
Cheers (going to pour me some home brew - not of my making - and
listen to Eddie Thompson)