[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in UK

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 15:52:45 PDT 2010

There was jazz being played in the UK in the 20s (except jazz was a rude
word so they often called it "syncopated" music)  but it's definitely
"stuff they played here in the 20s"  too! The thing that amazes me is
that bands travelled so far to play, I know there were lots of Americans
playing in London and I seem to remember reading about a band travelling
to Africa!  The pay was incredible .... top bands played some of their
musicians £10,000 a year.  I'm not making it up, we have a primary
source .... Melody Makers 1926 to 32   the professional journal at the
time.  Tony Davis and I are putting together a programme of the tunes
that were played in 1926 with snippets of news gleaned from the
journals...... this will run at Bude Jazz Festival and you're all
welcome to come :-)

As for today,  I can't speak for Mainland Europe but a lot of the
current fans came to the music as I did in the very early  60s through
the records of Kenny Ball, Chris Barber, Acker Bilk (all still playing)
This means that a lot of us  are in our sixties and still able to dance
the night away .....  only singing's easier IMHO.

jude

www.jude at judyeames.co.uk