[Dixielandjazz] Bill Russell Interview with Mike Pointon

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 16 16:38:57 PDT 2010

Dear friends,
Those of you who are familiar with the 1940s New Orleans jazz revival, will also know of the wonderful contribution to our music by writer, record producer and occasional performer, William 'Bill' Russell.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Russell_(composer)
The man who recorded Bunk Johnson, George Lewis, Jim Robinson and their colleagues for his American Music jazz label and helped initiate a world-wide interest in the music of New Orleans.
My dear English/Australian mate and DJML lurker, the reticent Geoff Gilbert now living and working in New Orleans, has just added an important aural document to his newish website.
The first episode of Mike Pointon’s 1992 BBC radio interview with the iconic Bill Russell.
This website debut coincides with the October publication of Mike's book detailing the life and unique impact Bill Russell had on our jazz world.
I found the half-hour presentation absolutely fascinating.
I'm certain that it will even interest those listmates unfamiliar with the story behind the New Orleans Jazz Revival.
Well worth a visit to Geoff's site at:
   http://geoffgilbertsneworleansjazz.com/bill-russell-interview-with-mike-pointon-part-1.html
While there, check out the other interesting and evolving links.
Then subscribe or bookmark <www.geoffgilbertsneworleansjazz.com> so as not to miss Parts 2 - 4 of Mike's broadcast and catch up with the current New Orleans jazz scene.
Very kind regards,
Bill.