[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong Quotes was solos

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 16 09:16:48 PDT 2010

You missed the subtle point Marek.

The point is that quotes taken out of context and presented by
themselves to try and prove a point of view usually are meaningless.

Armstrong's "too many notes too fast"  quote, taken as a blanket
criticism of bop, would apply also to himself since it was who he
moved the usual quarter note solos or breaks up into eighth notes,
thus playing twice as fast as his peers. This while also changing the
rhythmic pulse of jazz.

Perhaps his most stunning contribution to jazz was his re-invention of
the concept of time. Besides moving it from quarter notes to eighth
notes, he shifted rhythms by slowing his playing down behind the beat,
then speeding up ahead of the beat, etc.

Sounds suspiciously like what the be-boppers did as they moved towards
16th notes and rhythmic surprises. They simply continued along his
pathway  of innovation, while we Dixielanders stood still.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband