[Dixielandjazz] Solos

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 14 13:08:06 PDT 2010

IMO, a good solo is in the ear of the listener. If he/she/they like
it, it is a good solo. We all have different ears. <grin>

Personally, I prefer a "melodic" solo. That is, the creation of a new
and different melody line that meshes with the chords of the tune.
Doesn't have to even reference the original melody, but does play a
distinct melody. Like Coleman Hawkins doing "Body & Soul". I also
prefer long melodic lines, like 16 or 32 bars, but that's just me.

Number of notes does not matter to me, as long as my ears hear a
melodic line. Once again, our ears are different from other people's
ears so what one of us of likes or dislikes does not really codify
what is "Good".  It's communication and if what is communicated
through the instrument reaches the audience, the solo is successful.

IMO, too many soloists just run chord changes without regard for a
melodic line, hence they are not communicating to me, but may be
communicating to others. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband