[Dixielandjazz] FW: Shiek of Araby/Si Tu Vois Ma Mere

Glen Page gpage at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 12 14:21:46 PDT 2010

H, I originally sent this earlier in the week but it was late at night that
I was trying to get the message through and I inadvertently copied 2
people wondered what this fool was doing and did not bother to open the
third posting.

I believe that another poster had mentioned that there were some
similarities between "Lonesome" and "Si Tu...Mere" but Chilton firmly states
that the Jan.18th 1952 recording by Bechet was the first recording of the
tune.

Perhaps one of our European colleagues has more information, I see that
Gerard Bielderman has published Claude Luter discography, #57,but I do not
see reference to a Bechet one. Tom Lord's publication would almost certainly
cast light on the timing of these matters.

Sorry to resurrect this but the interest is still there for least some
people.

Glen Page.