[Dixielandjazz] Si Tu Vois Ma Mere

James Mullins abejim7 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 12:18:51 PDT 2010

At the Three Rivers Jazz Jubilee in April 2003, just after we "Shock and
Awed" Iraq, High Sierra was doing the Jazz service at the Presbyterian
Church.  One of the songs they did was Si Tu Vois Ma Mere with Pieter
Miejers doing a solo.  He introduced the song by telling the story that
Sydney Bechet got the inspiration for the title from a WW1 French soldier
who was mortally wounded and his last words were "If you see my mother, tell
her I love her".  Needless to say, there was not a dry eye in the place when
Pieter finished that song.  I have no reference other than Pieter's story
and I assumed that it must be common knowledge among musicians.  Anyway, it
was a very moving moment because of the obvious implications of the war in
Iraq.

Jim Mullins