[Dixielandjazz] Shiek of Araby

Glen Page gpage at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 9 23:18:05 PDT 2010

Re Bechet,
Shiek of Araby was recorded on 19th of April 1941 commencing at 9.30 am.
This was followed by "Blues for Bechet" although he ran out of studio time
after having recording 4 parts only, piano, tenor sax,clarinet and soprano,
in that order. A full account of this session is to be found on pages 141
and 142 in John CHILTON'S book "Sidney Bechet, The Wizard Of Jazz ".

The tunes were included on French RCA PM 45728 "The Complete Sidney Bechet,
(vol 5)

Si Tu Vois Ma Mere is mentioned in passing on p 204 and reference of its
first recording on Jan 18th 1953 with Clausd Luter's orchestra is made on
p249.
Chilton describes this tune as"absolutely enchanting".

Sorry I cannot quote any more but it is time to hear some music before I hit
the sack.

Cheers,
Glen Page.