[Dixielandjazz] :THE GIG

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 18:20:31 PDT 2010

Funny that several subscribers should be engaged in the "rushing" topic at
this time.  I have nothing to contribute on the subject as such, not being a
musician myself.

However, just last night I dug out an old VHS tape of a movie made in 1985
that I had recorded off the A&E Cable channel (back when it was a decent
channel).

It appeared to be a TVM and probably the only actors you would recognize
were Wayne Rogers (of "M*A*S*H" fame) and Cleavon Little ("Blazing Saddles")

Wayne was leader of an amateur sextet that got together to play dixieland
music regularly and through some quirk of fate managed to secure a 2-week
gig at a resort in the Catskills (sometimes referred to affectionately as
the Jewish Alps)

His bass player has to go in for emergency surgery so he must hire a
professional (Little) who holds him up for more money than the other players
are being paid.  His character has supposedly been around and played with
many top name bands and small combos.and it is he  who sets the pace for
each number that they play

I found the movie tremendously enjoyable when I first saw it perhaps 20
years ago and even moreso during last night's re-watching of it.

Incidentally, all of the musicians' playing was dubbed in except for
trumpeter Warren Vache Jr.but the others just going through the motions
appeared rather convincing or moreso than is typical in that situation.

Now that I have possibly aroused your interest, I have no idea whether it is
available on video

Tides,
HC.

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)