[Dixielandjazz] Louis Nye's "Hipster at the Bank"?

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 05:58:20 PDT 2010

I have no idea whether Nye ever did the "Hipster at the Bank" routine on TV
as I have it on a CD that a friend took from a United Artists LP.  It is
quite conceivable that he might have done it on a Steve Allen Show earlier.

Since I don't have the original, I have no idea who his straight man (the
bank officer) was but the voice is so familiar that I feel I should know who
it was.

Maybe someone in Sydney, Australia reading this can shed some further light
on the subject.

My fondest memories of Nye are when he was one of the "men on the street",
along with Don Knotts and Tom Poston.  I can see him now clad in a loud
plaid jacket, a striped shirt, a paisley tie and a hounds-tooth check hat,
saying

"Hi-Ho, Steverino.  I'm Gordon Hathaway, Madison Avenue's answer to Frank
Sinatra.  Ring-a-ding-ding"  (thank God my TV was only black & white at the
time)

He was a guest at a hotel where I was chef back in the early 80s.  The
manager of the restaurant called down to me and said, "You've got to come up
here and see the guy who ran for president on the Smothers Brothers program"

She was of course referring to Pat Paulsen, but it turned out to be Louis
Nye who was having breakfast with Eddie Bracken and someone I did not
recognize.

It would have been very rude to approach him but I thought afterward that I
should have had the waiter deliver a note to his table saying

"Is there any truth to the rumor that Jimmie Lunceford is still alive in
Seattle, Washington?"

I'm sure it would have cracked him up.

Tides,
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)