[Dixielandjazz] Some Birthdays June 6 - and more

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Sun Jun 6 22:08:53 PDT 2010

M J (Mike) Logsdon wrote:
> You forgot me, and the Invasion of Normandy.  (!)

Also Red Ingle's wedding anniversary - and he and wife "Eddie" (Edwina)
had been to anniversary dinner and had come home to find their genius
teenager (moi) had left the radio on and the invasion was being
broadcast on NBC. Red was already preparing to leave in a few days with
Spike Jones for England and a  long USO tour. They were on a troop ship
enroute and dodging U-Boats going over. They waited in England for
several weeks doing camp shows until the beaches at Nomandy has been
cleared and moved into "hedgerow heaven", They landed in France as the
first USO unit to go into France following D-Day. For me, it is a date
never to be forgotten, but most newspapers seemed to have forgotten
D-day here in Michigan. Incidently, they landed along with Dinah Shore
and Edgar G. Robinson who were sent on to other units to entertian. Good
troupers all!
In all, they spent most of two months entertaining troops in England,
then in France, often in the wake of Patton's armor.
As to their wedding date, dad joined the Goldkette office and at age 19
worked with the Dorseys, Bix, Tram and other units of the Goldkette
Detroit stable.  D-Day is still etched in deep memory in this household.
Happy birthday, Padre Mike.