[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen and public perception of OKOM

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Sat Jun 5 07:42:07 PDT 2010

Does a poor performance of traditional jazz really further our cause?

As a clarinetist, I accept that there are many styles of clarinet
playing, including Woody Allen's personal and rough-cut approach. But
from my viewing of "Wild man Blues" I am puzzled about why he
continually doubles the melody, and rarely engages in the kind of call-
and-response polyphony that makes early jazz special.

The early jazz clarinetist is largely responsible for the harmonic
character of the front line of any trad band by his choice of notes.
When the clarinetist fails at this task, all the air is let out of the
tire, so to speak. Mr. Allen is very intelligent, and I am sure with
study and practice he could master the harmonic techniques necessary
to elevate his role within his otherwise excellent band.

After years of participating in jam sets at jazz societies, or in
freebie jam bands, I've come to the conclusion that a ragged
performance of early jazz only reinforces certain stereotypes to the
listening public: that trad jazz is too loud, out of tune, jumbled and
disorganized, and "it all sounds the same."

So the public doesn't understand how sublime the music can be when
played with skill and sensitivity by Buck Creek or Grand Dominion or
Climax or Bob Schultz or Black Swan.

We have been gifted with a marvelous array of music from the early
20th century, and as Sidney Bechet said, we should "treat it gentle."

Mr. Allen is a sensitive fellow. Perhaps he will take a hint and spend
a bit more time woodshedding in private. If he had used the many hours
he has spent on the analyst's couch for clarinet practice, we would
all be happier.

Rick Campbell
Rick Campbell, Creative.
Portland, Oregon USA