[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen-- Norman opines

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Jun 4 18:56:39 PDT 2010

To:  DJML

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

I'd like to join in on the Woody Allen discussion.  This  subject has come
up in the past on the Musicians and Jazzfans list.

I think all of us would agree that Woody's musical performances are
amateurish.  But, as has been previously discussed, he loves the music,
hires great players, attracts an audience for the music and has featured it
in his films.  As Steve Barbone has stated, he's  probably done more to
advance the cause of jazz, especially early jazz, than most professional
musicians.  I loved "Sweet and Lowdown" even though the ending was somewhat
hokey.  I've see the videos of his European tours where he hired great
players, and then made a minimal appearance to satisfy  the audience. ( He's
not too much in the way of good musicians).

Some-God bless them!-are great players.  Others of us must support jazz in
other ways.  And, we always need an audience.  So we all have our function
in life.

Thanks for letting me contribute my comments.

Norman