[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Davern biography at $75 USD

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 31 06:42:15 PDT 2010

On Jul 30, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Stephen G Barbone wrote:
>> Amazon shows it as available for $54 USD.
>
> Dear Steve,
> As my mate and our band clarinet player, Jack Wiard suggested to me,
> perhaps we should wait for the movie.
> 8>
> Kind regards,
> Bill

Dear Bill:

By the time they make the movie, it will cost $54. My copy of the book
should arrive by August 4. I would not be without it.

As you know, Kenny and I met as teenagers in Queens County, New York
City circa 1950, when he was playing jazz on an Albert system
clarinet. We jammed together in various places and I considered those
events as lessons from a guy who really knew how to play.

I've told this story before on the DJML. We were jamming at the
Cinderella Club in NYC, circa 1961 and my wife to be was there. As
usual, Kenny cut me up. Martha said to me, in front of him, "Steve, I
don't know how to tell you this, but Kenny plays better than you."
That cracked Kenny up and he said; "Marry the girl, she's honest."

We're still married.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband