[Dixielandjazz] Irving Fazola (was Italians Invented Jazz)

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 14:13:18 PDT 2010

>> Which reminds me - for many years I had believed that Irving
Dear Steve,
Fazola
>> was of Italian, or at least - Latin origin.  I was wery disappointed
>> to find out otherwise.
>
> Dear Marek:
>
> What? You were disappointed to find that Faz was of Polish descent? He was a
> great player, wonderful; sound. Very wild guy who lived life to the fullest
> and died young because of it. <grin>

I know both his original surname and that he was a wonderful player
(even if my only LP under his name did not corroborate it).  I know
his records with  Bob Crosby and others.
Actually, for many years I thought his name was Prestupnik (criminal
in Russian); I do not know the origins of his family.

Still, with surname like Fazola I put him together with Rappollo,
Parenti and others.

> Kenny Davern was a great admirer of Fazola.

Not news to me either.