[Dixielandjazz] Some Birthdays July 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 11:30:37 PDT 2010

Mention of Carmen Dragon reminds me of Burr Tillstrom's "Kukla, Fran and
Ollie" where Oliver Dragon claimed to be cousin to the Hollywood Bowl
conductor.

Even though it was a puppet show, I always thought it was aimed at an adult
audience (or maybe I was just too adult for my 10 years)

Of course, we all know that Carmen's son was Daryl Dragon, partner of Toni
Tennille of "Captain and Tennille"

Since their hits together, Toni has cut a coupla excellent albums featuring
songs of the big band era and really has quite a set of pipes

Also, I had never heard of Annie Ross until the '57 album, "Lambert,
Hendricks & Ross Sing a Song of Basie".  I have since come to discover that
in 1943, she portrayed Judy Garland's piano playing sister in "Presenting
Lily Mars"....It is now my mission to locate that movie..

Tides,
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)