[Dixielandjazz] Bix Beiderbecke Memorial, Sunnyside NY

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 28 08:25:23 PDT 2010

>  "Fred Weber" <famw at comcast.net> wrote (polite snip)
>

> FREE TO ALL!    FREE TO ALL!    FREE TO ALL!
>
> Saturday, August 7th, 4:00PM - 7:00PM  on 46th Street at Queens Blvd.
>
> Don't Miss the 10th Annual Bix Beiderbecke Sunnyside Memorial Jazz
> Concert
>
> The Largest, Free, Outdoor Jazz Concert in western Queens!
>
> A night of Swing & Dixieland music.

(Remainder snipped for brevity)

Circa 1958, I had a six month gig with the Kenny Butterfield's Beale
Street Stompers, at a bar called the Melody Lounge, on 47th Street &
Queens Boulevard in Sunnyside, just a block or so from the apartment
where Bix died.

It was an old speakeasy and the cellar, which we used as the band
room, was the original speak, jazz murals on the walls, etc. We used
to wonder if Bix had every been there. The late Al (Jimmy) Winters was
in that band as was bassist Chuck Traeger. We attracted many sit-ins
including Tony Spargo, (Sbarbaro), Sal Pace, Yank Lawson et al.

Wish I could be there on the 7th, but unfortunately have a swing dance
wedding gig at exactly the same time 80 miles away.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband