[Dixielandjazz] "White Cliffs of Dover" (was First Tune of the night)

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 28 03:25:20 PDT 2010

Hi Bill,

I can`t recall a film of that name but the tune is one guaranteed to get the
nostalgia flowing in Britain. Incidentally Vera Lynn now around 90 released
an album a few months ago which promptly outsold all the stuff in the charts
at that time. I understand that it includes a load of stuff which was never
issued during the war and has been lost until recently.
When speaking of wartime singers Anne Shelton seems to be always passed
over. A shame as she was pretty good. Vera (The Forces Sweetheart)took the
honours I think because of her widely publicised overseas tours to the
troops with ENSA.  ENSA was a forces entertainment group which did stirling
work often in awful conditions. The troops reckoned that the initials stood
for Every Night Something Awful.

But of course you knew that.

Cheers

Pat