[Dixielandjazz] Fw: First Tune of the night

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 28 03:13:22 PDT 2010

Hi Glen,

I like the sound of your grandmother.
 I have already made a comment on this but in view of your comment
specifically to me I will addthis.

While I was serving King and Country as a `greasy gunner in the Royal
Artilleree` (its a song) I was stationed at the Tower of London to help keep
an eye on the Crown Jewels. During this period I was often involved in `The
Ceremony of the Keys`. This occurs each night when the Yeoman Warders, thats
Beefeaters to you, with an escort from whatever regiment is currently posted
to the Tower, goes round and locks up.
I can`t recall all the details now but it involved a great deal of
`bullshit`. Uniforms pressed, belts and gaiters  blanco`d, brasses polished
(back and front), rifles polished with Kiwi `Oxblood` and boots worked over
with a red hot spoon  and a toothbrush handle and spit and polish  until you
could shave in the reflection in the toecaps.
The Yeoman warder, with a lamp and an escort would approach one of the
internal guardposts and the sentry would challenge with the words `Halt. Who
goes there?` The officer of the Keys party would say `The Keys`. The
challenger would shout `Whose Keys?` to which the answer was `King Georges
Keys`. `Pass King Georges Keys` was the reply and then we could get our
heads down until it was our turn to turn out and take post in the sentry
box.

I always felt it was quite a privilege to do duty in the historic place
which had been a fort for around 2000years but it was a bit creepy at 2 in
the morning and we often found sentries passed out having fainted and
swearing that they had seen the ghost of Anne Boleyn coming down the steps
from where her head was lopped off.
Great days.

Cheers

Pat