[Dixielandjazz] God Save the King/Queen (was First Tune of the night)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 27 16:33:10 PDT 2010

Glen Page wrote (in part):
> ...it was traditional, in fact mandatory almost, to preface any
> performance, including a moving picture show with the playing of "God Save
> The King" during which the respectful audience stood smartly to attention and
> stopped chewing their gum.

Dear Glen,
In Australia (and I thought England) the 'anthem' was played at the end of a performance.
The cinemas were usually empty by the time the film credits had rolled.
8>)
The long-serving Irish-born archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Mannix, banned the playing of this anthem at any performances he attended.
Those were the daze.
Kind regards,
Bill.
Sydney (formerly Melbourne)