[Dixielandjazz] Louis Prima honored

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 11:42:37 PDT 2010

I was pleased to read here that Louis Prima Jr. is keeping alive the memory
of Sam Butera by calling his band the Witnesses.

Back in '86 when I saw Sam & the Witnesses here in Houston, one of his
sidemen told me that Sam and Keely had a falling out and she had a court
order issued restraining him from using "The WIldest": in the title of his
show, which he was just doing to carry on the Prima tradition.

I understand that Sam & Keely patched things up prior to his death last year
although I don't know if they ever performed together.again.

The first time I had seen  them together was on a Jerry Lewis telethon in
perhaps '77 and when they did "That Old Black Magic", you could close your
eyes and almost think it was Louis & Keely, who received a Grammy for their
Capitol hit in 1958.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Tides
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)