[Dixielandjazz] First Tune of the night

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 27 08:33:25 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marek Boym" <marekboym at gmail.com>
To: "Pat Ladd" <pj.ladd at btinternet.com>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] First Tune of the night

> the lines of "We'll Meet Again" which was the
> closing number in "Dr Strangelove" sung by Vera Lynn > Tides
> HC

It was much more than that. To my generation it was one of the songs, along
with `There will be blue birds over the white cliffs of Dover` which helped
maintain morale during WW2.

The Saints may be the way to end a dixieland concert but carrying on with
the observations about playing a slow song to quieten the crowd  before they
drove off into the night the only way to end a dance  was the Last Waltz,
and the tune was always `Whose taking you home tonight?". This gave the
young hopefuls their last chance to get their sweaty little paws on a girl
while he walked her home, or persuaded her into a car.
In the case of my first army posting it was a chance for the girl to agree
be to be taken home by either a Gunner (me) from a camp at one end of the
town or a guy from the 16th/21st Hussars Tank regiment from a camp at the
other end of town. Often the girl would agree to be taken home by one of
each andthen leave it to the guys to slug it out round the back of th dance
hall for the dubious privilege.
What fun we had?

Pat