[Dixielandjazz] Results: Can you give me any hope?

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Jul 24 14:55:07 PDT 2010

Bob Brodsky rfoxbro at aol.com wrote:

> On my query about whether OKOM will die out after  the next 10-15 years go by, I am afraid that I have to report negatively - at least in the USA. One or two suggested that we could attract 'youngsters' by catering to their dancing propensities. But no one gave me any real news about 'young' trad bands. 37 youngsters were reported at the Mammoth Jazz Camp,- a hopeful sign?

Dear Bob,

We have quite a youth Music program in Sacramento, sponsored by the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society.

1.  We sponsor a youth Jazz Band, the TNT, (The New Traditionalists).

2.  We give music scholarships to deserving youth musicians.

3.  At our monthly Jazz Sunday concerts we always feature a youth band to open the Main Stage.  We also have the Tailgate room where young musicians get a chance to play with each other and with adult, more experienced  musicians.

4.  For 4-years now we have sponsored a non-competitive, Youth Jazz Festival.  We usually have aprox 20 Youth Jazz Bands participating from all over the country and Canada.

5.  Each year now for over 25 years we have sponsored Youth and adult Music Camps.  Each camp is for a week.  We usually have aprox 100 youth musicians attend.

6.  At our yearly Sacramento Jazz Festival and Jubilee, we usually have between 15 and 20 youth Jazz bands participating.  Some from as far as WA DC, Salt lake City and Canada.

We have had quite a few youth musicians who have gone through our youth programs, go on to be professional musicians.  And of course, lots of the kids who did not become professionals, still get a love of Jazz for the future.

You may read about our different programs at:

www.sacjazz.org

On July 11, at our monthly Jazz Sunday, we had our annual Parade of Bands with 13 bands being featured.

Below is the line up.  FYI- I have indicated which bands are young, in their 20s and which are youth, in their teens and sometimes even younger.

    STJS Jazz Sunday 7/11/10

Main Stage

Set #1, noon - 12:55 PM

Sacramento Youth Jazz Band
Teens great, big band.

Set #2, 1:05 - 1:55 PM

Au Brothers Jazz Band
In their 20s, most all graduates from the STJS Youth Jazz Camp.

Set #3, 2:05 - 2:55 PM

RedSkunk Jipzee Swing Band
Late Teens and 20s, Django type Gipsy Swing Band.
Mostly graduates from our STJS youth Jazz programs.
Also from the Pismo Beach youth Music program.

Set #4, 3:05 - 3:55 PM

Miss Margie & the Hot Five
Margie is in her 20s and a very fine singer.

Set #5, 4:05 - 5:00 PM

Ernie Bucio's Little Big Band
Adults.

Gold Card Room

Set #1, noon - 12:55 PM

Gramercy 6
Adults

Set #2, 1:05 - 1:55 PM

Porcupine Ragtime Ensemble
Adults

Set #3, 2:05 - 2:55 PM

The Original Senn Jazz Band
Late teens, early 20s,
Some graduates of our youth jazz camp.

Set #4, 3:05 - 3:55 PM

New Lowdown
Teens and mostly 20s.
Some graduates of our youth programs.

Set #5, 4:05 - 5:00 PM

Dr. Bach and the Jazz Practitioners
Adults

Tailgate Room

Youth bands and jam sessions

noon - 12:45 PM

Stray Cats
Celia Cottle Instructor
Ages, 13 - 17

Set #2, 12:50 - 1:35 PM

Jazz Raptors.
Polly Edgerton Instructor
Ages early teens.

Set #3, 1:40 - 2:25 PM

Jam Session, (Sign-ups in Tailgate Room).

Set #4, 2:30 - 3:15 PM

Take 2,
Instructor's Name: Nancy Kreis
Ages 14 - 15

Set #5, 3:20 - 4:05 PM

Jam Session (Sign-ups in Tailgate Room

Set #6, 4:10 - 4:55 PM

Jam Session, (Sign-ups in Tailgate Room.)

I hope this gives you some encouragement.

--Bob Ringwald
Musician member, STJS Board of Directors