[Dixielandjazz] Red Garter San Francisco Postcard

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 24 14:21:36 PDT 2010

>  "Beth Schweitzer" <beth at portafortuna.com> wrote
>
> Dear Listmates,
>
> I just found a postcard that my parents sent me back in 1971 from the
> Red Garter in San Francisco. The back of the card states:
> ----
> The Red Garter, unique beer palace-night club deluxe. Continuous
> entertainment is provided by "THE STRUGGLERS," the Barbary Coast Banjo
> Band, and 'Arty 'Iggins Piccadilly h'All Stars, in the roaring style
> of
> the good old days.
>
> The RED GARTER, 670 Broadway, San Francisco, New York, New Orleans,
> Philadelphia, Detroit
>
> -----
> The photo on the front appears to be the banjo band because there are
> three banjoists in the front line and a sousaphone, trumpet or cornet
> (it's hard to see) and trombone in the back like, all wearing white
> pants and shirts and red and white striped vests. There is a young
> lady
> in a blue dress with a red and white striped band on the sleeve
> playing
> piano.
>
> Sound familiar to anyone out there? Were any of you in that band
> perhaps?
>
> BTW - the crowd in the photo looks very drunk and happy.

Dear Beth & Listmates:

A different version of the Red Garter SF Post card, from 1963 may be
seen at:

http://www.cardcow.com/265931/red-garter-san-francisco-california/

Recognize anyone?

The other band was the Arry ( not Arty) Iggins Piccadilly h'All Stars
with Banjo Picking & Glockenspiel Starlet Quina Dupen. They issued an
LP record in the 1960s,  A copy was on Ebay for a while, but has since
been removed.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband