[Dixielandjazz] re Sinatra as conductor corrected response

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 13:20:26 PDT 2010

My previous post got a little garbled in the internet. What was  asked was
the accuracy of a wikipedia article stating Sinatra was  the actual
conductor of several recordings of himself and others. My  answer:

I called Uan Rasey (trumpet player on most of the Sinatra Capitol and
Reprise recordings). He was as kind as he knew how to be, but he told   me
much
of the information on album cover liner notes contains  fictionalized
writing, therefore some researched articles are not always  accurate.  Uan has a
mind like a steel trap. He remembered playing on  the sessions outlined
above. Sinatra could not read music and therefore had  little insight into the
charts. On some of them, Sinatra wasn't even in the  building.  Usually
Billy May, or sometimes Nelson Riddle or Don Costa was  involved  either as
actual conductor, or directing the session from inside  the control  booth.
Rasey pointed out that the session players did quite  well on their own  after
someone counted off the tunes. Sinatra's name and  his notoriety added some
hype for the record sales (anyone remember Jackie  Gleason albums that were
actually Ray Coniff?). Sinatra was noted for  having strong opinions, and
frequently Dave Cavanaugh (A & R man) would  pay attention to Sinatra's
suggestions. On his recordings, Sinatra   generally wanted to settle  for the
first take on every tune. He was  frequently overridden by Cavanaugh. But as
Sinatra being an actual  conductor..interesting fiction for album covers.

Rasey also pointed out  Sinatra had a high regard for his session players;
he always treated them  with great respect. Want more info on this topic?
Contact me off list. this  topic is a little outside OKOM.

Tom Loeb