[Dixielandjazz] Neville Dickie August 1 in Wilmington DE for Tri-State JAzz Society

Fred Weber famw at comcast.net
Thu Jul 22 15:54:03 PDT 2010

TRI-STATE JAZZ SOCIETY

Proudly Presents

GREAT BRITAIN'S GREAT STRIDE PIANIST

NEVILLE DICKIE

Sunday August 1, 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

First Unitarian Church

730 Halstead Rd @ Whitby Dr off Concord Pk (Rt 202)

Wilmington DE 19803

$20 regular admission, $10 members and first-time attendees

Free admission for students with ID and children with paying adults.

Pay at door; no advance sales or reservations

Neville Dickie returns to Wilmington, where he performed last summer for an
enthusiastic audience. His solo piano concerts feature early jazz styles,
including stride, boogie woogie and ragtime.

Neville Dickie is one England's foremost stride and boogie-woogie pianists.
A regular performer on BBC Radio, Dickie has made hundreds of appearances as
a soloist or with his trio. One of the few British jazz pianists to score
with a hit single -- "The Robins Return" in 1969 -- Dickie has continued to
be embraced by British jazz enthusiasts. His 1975 album, Back to Boogie,
sold more than 100,000 copies.

Dickie remains active, performing in the London area with his trio and with
a band, the Rhythmakers, that he formed in 1985. ~ Craig Harris, All Music
Guide -From answers.com/topic/neville-dickie

<<Fortunately the church was air conditioned because it was a hot night
outside. It would have gotten hotter inside because the piano playing of
Neville Dickie would have shut the A/C down for sure.  Mr. Dickie said that
he would play a little Fats Waller, boogie-woogie, ragtime and whatever Bob
Seeley didn't do, I'll do.  He opened up with the old standard Jeepers
Creepers followed by the Fats Waller composition from 1942 I've Got A
Feeling I'm Falling.  James P Johnson wrote the next tune Harlem Strut.  I'm
glad I use the Internet sometimes because the next song was Streamline Train
by Cripple Clarence Lofton written in 1936.--From last year's review of his
concert in The Strutter.>>

TSJS Phones: 856-232-1463 (NJ), 610-268-5930 (PA), 302-762-3335 (DE)

Email-info at tristatejazz.org

For further info and directions go to www.tristatejazz.org.