[Dixielandjazz] Solo by Charlie Parker (was solos)

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Tue Jul 20 18:40:40 PDT 2010

Ken;

There are other definitions of elegant. The one which I'd use when listening
to Bird's "Embraceable You" is "elegance is the attribute of being unusually
effective and simple. It is frequently used as a standard of tastefulness."
This, for me, is the word which comes to mind when I listen to many of
Parker's later solos - with strings or South of the border. The more I
listen to music such as this, the more I can appreciate how appropriately
the definition of "elegant" applies.

I fully agree with you regarding Ben Webster ("Star Dust" from an old 78 as
well as Duke Ellington's Fargo Concert) and Ruby Braff & Dick Hyman
("America the Beautiful" from the album "A Pipe Organ Recital")

Stan
Stan Brager