[Dixielandjazz] Solo by Charlie Parker (was solos)

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 12:52:21 PDT 2010

Ken, I'm an engineer too (well, a software engineer) and I appreciate
elegance as much as any geek. But I think you've missed what Bird was all
about.

Here's a suggestion: get a program like "The Amazing Slower-Downer" that can
change the tempo without changing the pitch and listen to Bird's recording
of Embraceable You at half speed. Heard that way, you have a little more
time to follow his phrasing and savor the notes he emphasizes. Seriously try
this, and then report back what you hear.

I think you'll discover that Bird is as lyrical as Eddie Miller. He just
ain't waitin roun fo you to notice!