[Dixielandjazz] Phoebe Snow song

Fred Weber famw at comcast.net
Sat Jul 17 16:54:09 PDT 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4YQkrUCE80

From: Harry Callaghan [mailto:meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2010 7:50 PM
To: Bill Haesler
Cc: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: Re: Phoebe Snow song

Well, my "Mouldy" friend (your description, not mine)

Youve been scooped by Fred Weber, who isn't even a DJML subscriber but I
BCCd it to him as he and I e-mail back and forth rather frequently., moreso
on movies and sports than music..

Admittedly the lyrics are not all that easy to understand but they really
are very touching and as I said, particularly if you had baseball in your
blood at a very early age

If you're looking for something in a similar vein with considerably improved
enunciation, see if you can locate "There Used To Be a Ballpark Right Here".
It was a Joe Raposo composition that Frank Sinatra recorded on his "Ol'
Blues Eyes Is Back" album.  It laments the Dodgers move from Brooklyn to Los
Angeles.

Joe's most popular composition, as I'm sure you know is the one he wrote for
our little green friend (no, not the Geico) Kermit the Frog ,"Being Green".

And , after all these years, you know that I'm always the naughty boy in the
corner..I have to check every once in awhile to make sure. my dunce cap is
on straight.

Thanx

Harry

On 7/17/10, Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

Harry Callaghan wrote [in part]:
> Have any of y'all ever heard the song that Phoebe Snow wrote and recorded
> with Dave Grusin about a guy who shined shoes outside Yankee Stadium for
> years?.
> I have the name of it written down somewhere but it doesn't come to mind
> right now.

Dear Harry,
Do you mean "Somewhere Between Old and New York"?
Here 'tis on YouTube.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfd6tN3Dwjs
Wow, just the mention of this performance could get you thrown off the DJML.
Or, at least, a week in the naughty boy corner.
As with all these girlie singers, I was unable to understand a word she is
singing.
A quick search for the lyrics didn't turn up anything.
Maybe, just as well.
Kind regards,
Mouldy Bill.
*>)

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)