[Dixielandjazz] New Thread: Best Jazz Solos

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Fri Jul 16 11:35:33 PDT 2010

J. D. Bryce wrote:
> To all:
>
> I'd like to start a new thread.  Below, I've listed my initial picks, in no particular order, as the greatest solos or jazz performances on record.  Since my background is reeds, my list is topheavy with sax/clarinet selections.  For this, I apologize.
>
> Louis Armstrong - West End Blues
>
> Artie Shaw- Stardust-The band with strings performance
>
> Coleman Hawkins- Body and Soul -1939 Version
>
> Irving Fazola- My Inspiration
>
> Bunny Berigan-Marie- w/ the Tommy Dorsey Band
>
> Benny Goodman-Avalon w/Hampton
>
> Charlie Parker- Koko 1945
>
> Artie Shaw-Don't Take Your Love from Me 1954
>
> Earl Bostic- Body and Soul
>
> Tony Parente- Maple Leaf Rag
>
> Buddy DeFranco-Now's the Time
>
> John Coltrane- Giant Steps

My choices to start:
Bix - Clementine with Jean Goldkette -also- Sweet Sue with Whiteman
Eddie Miller - Slow Mood a.k.a. Love's Got Me in a Mellow Mood
Joe Yukl - Body and Soul, on Jump label 78
James P. Johnson - Snowy Morning Blues
Anything by the Prez
Bobby Hackett solo on Glenn Miller's "From One Love to Another."

More later - too hot now to think, perfect time to have a drink!

Don Ingle