[Dixielandjazz] Melodious Drummers

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 15:05:39 PDT 2010

Hi Harry et al,

Louis recorded it 18 times between 1947 and 1968 according to the Louis Armstrong Discography at
http://www.michaelminn.net/armstrong/index.php

I don't know any of the later versions, but the 1947 Symphony Hall version is a gas. There's clearly lots of "visuals" going on and Louis, Velma, the band and the audience are so obviously having a ball that it's irresistible, cornball or not. What is it about Louis' voice that causes everyone to break into a grin? When my kids were tiny they used to love my Armstrong records and are now cheering their own children with those classic Ella and Louis recordings. I guess its the sheer force of his genial personality that simply bursts out of the speakers that connects with everyone, whether they consciously like jazz or not.

I got to know Benny Carter in the 1980s and he talked of Louis in awestruck  tones. He told me that of all the  musicians, entertainers, politicians, movie stars, movie moguls etc he had met over an 80 year career, nobody came close to Louis for his ability to light up a packed room and be the centre of attention without seeking it. If Louis was in the room, it just seemed to happen and everyone clamoured to get close to him. A genuine magnetic personality if ever there was one.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk