[Dixielandjazz] Drum solos (phrasing)

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 09:03:18 PDT 2010

> John Petters <jdpetters at btinternet.com>
>
> Why is it that some musicians think that a drummer should not be
> allowed
> to solo in OKOM?
>
> The example of Colin Bowden is superb. Colin is one of the very few
> who
> know what its about.
>
> A drum solo is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. It is part of show biz. It
> should not just be a technical exercise - but should be melodic and
> relevant to the tune.
>
> I always keep the melody in my head during my extended solos and
> phrase
> accordingly.

Amen John:

Not only some musicians, but some "jazz police" in audiences. <grin>

Talking about phrasing, you nailed it. We use two drummers (regular
and 1st call sub) that phrase when they solo. It is wonderful as we no
longer have to count measures to figure out where to come back in. As
you know, when the drummer phrases properly, the rest of the band
hears him playing melody and doesn't have to rely on that old ta ta -
ta ta - Taaaaaaaaaaaah Ta ta; as a cue to start playing again.

We also get comments from some audience members that they love the
drummer because they too can hear the melody when he solos.

EARS, EARS, EARS.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband