[Dixielandjazz] A very tasty long drum solo!

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Jul 13 11:58:42 PDT 2010

According to some older band mates, back in the late 1950s there was a
jazz spot in Palo Alto, CA that was frequented by students from
Stanford - the house band drummer would do a flashy long solo at some
point every night. He would get out of his kit and drum on objects
hung on the walls, tables, chairs, etc.

One evening a group of 20 students showed up and waited for the solo.
When the drummer did his thing, they all got up and took out
drumsticks they had hidden in their sleeves and did a mass drumming,
roaming around the pub and hitting everything they could reach!

Not quite an "Oh Yeah, Oh Yeah, Oh Yeah!" moment, but I bet it was fun.

The drummer (who's name I cannot remember) changed his routine after
that night...

Dave Richoux