[Dixielandjazz] A very tasty long drum solo!

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 13 09:02:07 PDT 2010

Hi bill,
Enjoyed that!.
Regarding the comments about `too long drum solo`s` and `not what the music
was about`  I can only say that it is just what we have discussed on the
list many times, being entertainers..  A drum solo like Bowdens was more or
less mandatory in any concert those days. The band would slip away one by
one leaving the drummer in the spotlight until he was running out of
inventiveness when a tip off from the drummer would bring the band one by
one back onto the stage to end the number.
I remember seeing  Joe Daniels and the Hotshots at Bath  and Daniels as well
as taking a solo on his kit would wander across the stage, playing on the
floor, into the audience playing on some ones spectacles, arms of seats,
fire extinguishers, his own teeth, always keeping the beat going. Not great
jaxx maybe but certainly great entertainment,

Cheers

Pat