[Dixielandjazz] Gee Bill ~ Ain't I good To You

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 12 20:39:25 PDT 2010

FLECKNELL RICHARD wrote:
> Has Gee Baby a verse?  .... Yes Bill - 16 bars.
> Now since you are the renowned BH you should track down the band that plays
> it! No clues but you'll get it.

Dear Richard,
The answer to your subject line is "No."

I have been unable to track down a verse, which is why I asked the question.
Here are the original Andy Razaf words to the 1929 Donald Redman composition:
"Gee, Ain't I Good To You."

"It's love makes me treat you the way that I do.
Gee baby, ain't I good to you?
There's nothin' too good for a girl that's so true.
Gee baby, ain't I good to you?

Bought you a fur coat for Christmas, and a diamond ring
Cadillac car
And everything.

Love makes me treat you the way that I do.
Gee baby, ain't I good to you?"

The song was not copyrighted until 1944, at which time the word "Baby" was added to the title.
Was a verse included at this time?
I've checked a few of the recorded versions in my collection and the lyrics are all variations on the above.
I therefore suggest that the answer to my question is that there was no verse.

Kind regards,
Bill