[Dixielandjazz] Can you give me any hope?

Bob Brodsky rfoxbro at aol.com
Mon Jul 12 18:34:25 PDT 2010

 Dear OKOMers:

I sent this to a friend this morning as part of an email message:

We went to our monthly South Bay New Orleans Jazz Club meet yesterday.  About 50 people - none under 65 and half being participating musicians.  In 10 years we will all be gone - and I don't think the music can survive. But - I'm usually wrong on big pronouncements.

I hate to be so pessimistic, but- at age 85 - that's how it looks from my part of the world. Our club has a musical scholarship which now supports only one youngster - who can play in the genre but can't seem to get higher than middle C on his trombone. And we did support a quite good young pianist now just graduated from college. but that's all. I don't see a happy future.

Bob Brodsky