[Dixielandjazz] 3 or 4 piece bands

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 10 20:18:12 PDT 2010

Gary,

I've played in a trio for about 8 years.
We have a reed player for the lead instruments (clarinet and alto asx),
a string bass player who also plays piano and sings,
and me, a banjo and tenor guitar player who assembled the tune book.

We play trad jazz, show tunes, rags, gospel, and even a polka or two.
On July 22nd we're playing in the Officers' Club at the San Francisco Presidio
It will be a reception for the 41st National Exhibition of the California Watercolor Association.
Our venues have included a wedding, crawfish boil, fundraiser for hurricane Katrina victims,
birthday parties, church events, retirement homes, openings of art shows, lodge dinners, and a crisis support center.

No one asked why we came with only 3 musicians.

One advantage with having so few instruments is we all get to solo (on almost every tune) and everyone can hear each instrument.

It's also much easier scheduling for only 3 people.

Cheers,
Bruce Stangeland
Berkeley banjoist

Message: 8