[Dixielandjazz] 3 or 4 piece bands

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 10 07:16:04 PDT 2010

Kirk asked about what instruments those of us who work in smaller
groups from time to time use.

Dear Kirk:

Where budgets do not permit our normal 6 or 7 piece lineup, we
sometimes work effectively with less. Below is our basic formula, trio
being our smallest unit. Then add the next instrument on the list for
quartet, next 2 for quintet, next 3 for our regular sextet. NOTE, the
trombone and trumpet are interchangeable. Normally I ask for trumpet
first, but if he is otherwise engaged, I go with trombone as the 4th
instrument. Works fine either way. One caveat with this quartet set
up; You need bass and guitar (or banjo and tuba) that are EXCELLENT
TIME KEEPERS.

1 - Clarinet
2 - Guitar (amplified)
3 - Bass

4 - trumpet

5 - trombone

6 - drums.

Today, for example, I am leaving in a few minutes for a wedding gig
150 miles away. The quartet (1 through 4 above) plays the first hour
during cocktails. Then dinner and dancing with the sextet.

Cheers,
Steve