[Dixielandjazz] Joya Sherrill Obit - Sang wilth Ellington & Goodman

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 05:31:06 PDT 2010

Interesting, Jack, but possibly my distinguished colleague from Philadelphia
was referring to the first American band to tour beyind the Iron Curtain
when making reference to Benny Goodman.

Which reminds me that coupla nights ago I was watching a repeat of one of
Dave Letterman's shows from May.

During his monologue, he told of yet another smoking vehicle being
discovered in NY's Times Square area, While authorities immediately
suspected another possible bomb threat, they were releived to find that it
was only Willie Nelson's tour bus

I was quite surprised to discover that Miss Sherrill wrote the lyrics to
"Take the A Train".  Of the several times that Duke recorded it, I believe I
do have one that is a vocal rendition.  I'll have to dig it out to see if it
is her..

Tides,
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)